Finding Encouragement in the Light

Feb 16, 2011

"Blessed are those...who walk in the light of Your presence."
Psalm 89:15

I've always had a great affinity for the word "light" throughout the Bible.  I've searched the scriptures to find every mention of the word during some of the darkest times in my life.  As one who battles frequent bouts of depression, the word can take on significant meaning.  Depression is often described as a deep dark pit, so those who have suffered through it know that "light" is a lifeline to help.

Jesus is that lifeline.  And not just for depression, but for whatever situation you might find yourself in that feels dark, frustrating, or overwhelming.  Jesus is always waiting with his hand outstretched to pull you to safety.  The Bible promises hardship for all of us, but nowhere does it say that we must endure it alone.  In the first several verses of the book of John, Jesus is described as The Light, and again in 8:12 Jesus proclaims it himself saying,

"I am the light of the world.
Whoever follows me
will never walk in darkness,
but will have the light of life."

What a gift!  We are surrounded by darkness on every side in our society, but Jesus provides our hope.

If you are struggling, would you go to the concordance in your Bible and do a word search for the word "light" and read through those scriptures?  I hope that you will be as encouraged as I am each time I do it.  Then pray and ask God to infuse you with the light of Christ, let it permeate your soul.  Soak Him in, and rest in his assurances.

I love that each day as I walk past my fireplace, I am reminded of the Light of His Presence by this beautiful vase and candle holder.  It is one of my favorite pieces from Blessings Unlimited.

Have a blessed day walking in HIS light!

iFellowship

10 comments:

Lisa Maria,  February 16, 2011 6:46 AM

Hi Cherie!

I loved your post today. I, too, have a great affinity for the word 'light'...as you can see from my blog lol! Jesus IS the light of the world, the light of our souls, He illuminates all the dark places in our hearts and He has been my lifeline many, many times as I went through a really tough year in my marriage. There are still times of darkness and the evil one uses those times to his advantage, but my Light is always there to comfort, counsel and give me strength.

May He continue to give you strength in your walk.

Love and Blessings
Lisa

Erika,  February 16, 2011 8:00 AM

What an encouraging post. Thanks for that! I'm a new follower from the Seeds of Faith women blog hop! Have a wonderful week!
~Erika
Musings From a SAHM

Michele,  February 16, 2011 8:07 AM

Love it and so encouraging!!! Happy wfw!!

Michele

One Inspired Mom,  February 16, 2011 8:42 AM

Hey!

I am a new follower from ifellowship. That was a wonderful post :) Thank you so much!

Becky :)

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet,  February 16, 2011 9:34 AM

What a wonderful post! Sometimes with my depression I feel like the light is too far away down a tunnel that I can't see it, but He isn't. He is as close as the mention of His name. Thank you so much for sharing!

mama hall,  February 16, 2011 12:43 PM

what a beautiful piece of home decor and a timeless reminder of our calling as children of God. Bless you, friend!

Ozjane,  February 16, 2011 11:51 PM

I also like to link light with hope as with light at the end of a dark tunnel and the hope it brings that we will come into that light.
The entrance of Thy words giveth light....my memory is all in the old King James...and I am so grateful the Holy Spirit planted His word in my heart as a child and teen and then through Bible college years. I am so blessed that He gave me that heritage of memory.

BARBIE,  February 17, 2011 12:30 AM

There is nothing like the light of Christ! Thank you for this post today!

Paula ~ Princess Warrior Chick,  February 17, 2011 4:49 AM

Oh Cherie, thank you so much for this post. I suffer from depression and I am in the throws of slowly overcoming it. I know that God will lead me into the light at the pace in which He deems fit, without my eyes being damaged by it's brilliance! He is light, and love, and hope. Thank you for sharing this fact.

Karen,  February 18, 2011 7:46 AM

Beautiful inspiration...so glad I stopped by!